“Have Any? How Many?”
- Approach your child with multiple objects that are the same (e.g., blocks, shoes, cars).
- Hold up the objects and ask, “What are these?” Then hold up one and ask, “What is this?”
- Look through picture books. Ask your child to name single items and then point to multiples and ask him to name these items as well.
- Emphasize the “s” at the end of words.
- Use numbers when labeling objects (e.g., one block, two blocks).
- Model the use of plurals when necessary. Provide your child with as many opportunities to use plurals as possible throughout the day.
- For irregular plurals, model correct uses (e.g., mouse-mice). If your child says, “I see two mouses,” you say, “Oh, you see two mice?” Remember do not criticize your child’s incorrect responses. Rather, just rephrase it correctly.