“Hey, What’s This For?”
Normal daily routines allow many opportunities to help teach your child the proper use of objects. Show your child how objects are used by demonstrating their use during play and other everyday activities (e.g., with a wash cloth, towel, toothbrush, comb, spoon, cup, ball, car, shoe, phone, etc).
- While bathing, wash your child’s face with a washcloth.
- When finished with the bath, take a towel and dry your child.
- Brush your child’s hair and teeth.
- During mealtime, take a cup or spoon and bring it to your child’s mouth.
- During play, feed a baby with a bottle, throw a ball, push a car back and forth.
- While dressing, put shoes and socks on your child’s feet,
- Use hand over hand assistance to help guide your child to use objects the way that they are meant to be used.