“Spreadin’ Yourself Thin”
- Frost a cake, cupcake or even cookies.
- Spread peanut butter or jelly on a cracker.
- Spread cream cheese or butter on toast or a bagel.
- Stand behind your child. Place the knife in your child’s hand and then place the knife in the food that you will be spreading.
- Show your child how to hold the food (e.g., toast, bagel, etc.) in one hand while using the other hand to hold the knife and spread topping.
- Assist then fade prompts until your child can spread with a knife independently.