- Have your child try on shoes that are much too big, so he learns the feeling of slipping into shoes.
- Have your child watch as you place shoes on your feet.
- Place the shoes in front of your child, one at a time.
- Loosen your child’s shoes by removing the laces or Velcro and pulling out the tongue.
- Place your child’s foot half way in the shoe and encourage your child to push it in the rest of the way.
- Provide physical guidance when necessary and gradually reduce the prompts as your child masters the skill.