“Hang-Up Your Coat!”
- Create a designated area to place the family’s outerwear (coat rack, closet, hook).
- Place your child’s name in the designated area so your child can identify where to put a coat.
- Physically assist your child if necessary at first when removing and replacing the outerwear.
- Verbalize the location of the outerwear as you remove and place it (“E.g. I am taking my coat off the hook”.)
- Make sure your child is watching each time you remove and replace your outerwear from the assigned location, modeling putting the outerwear in its assigned place.
- Once a routine is set, your child should be able to place outerwear in its assigned place without assistance.