“Yours, Mine & Ours”
- Ask your child questions throughout the day about people’s possessions
- (e.g., “Who’s _____ is this?”).
- Model the response if necessary (e.g., “This is daddy’s _____;” “This is my _____;” “This is Junior’s _____.”).
- Look at photographs and talk about who is doing what in the pictures.
- Allow your child to help you put the clothes away after doing laundry. Label the clothes by whom they belong to (e.g., “Mommy’s shirt, Daddy’s socks, Junior’s pants”).
- During a play activity, hold up your child’s favorite toy and say, “This is my ball,” look toward him and wait for a response.
- Put a photograph of your child’s family members on the outside of a box. Place several of their belongings in each. Encourage your child to help you. Hold up one object at a time. Ask him, “Whose is this?” If he does not respond, point to the picture of the family member, pause, than model the appropriate response (e.g., Daddy’s sock)