“No BUTS, Just BUTTON IT!”
- Demonstrate buttoning and unbuttoning so that your child can see how it is done.
- Have your child practice buttoning and unbuttoning on your clothing as it is easier to complete the skill on someone else at first.
- Enlarge buttonholes so that buttons can easily slip through.
- Use physical prompts to assist your child with buttoning and unbuttoning clothing.
- Buttoning: Show your child how to hold and gently pull the fabric next to the hole with one hand, and with the other, take hold of the button and push it through the hole.
- Unbuttoning: Repeat the same procedure for buttoning, except, instead of pushing the button through the hole, pull it through to unbutton it.