“Doin’ the Doo”
- Have your child go with you to the store to buy a comb or brush.
- Buy a small comb or brush for your child to use to brush a doll’s hair during play.
- Establish a regular routine when your child brushes hair (when getting up in the morning, before going out, after a bath, before bed).
- Brush your child’s hair and have your child brush your hair.
- Model hair brushing.
- Place your child in front of a mirror when brushing hair for visual feedback.
- Stand behind your child and physically guide your child’s hand through the motions of brushing hair.
- Verbally instruct your child to brush hair.
- Fade away all prompts as your child becomes independent at hair brushing.